The Racing Club currently has one horse, who is leased to the club by Oliver, to allow no buy in. Should he become injured we will endeavor to switch another horse in, to ensure a racing interest.
Dave And Bernie – 5 Year Old, Papal Bull Gelding, rated 121
Oliver purchased Dave And Bernie (‘Dave’) from the Goff’s September Sale last year for £34,000. We really liked his compact, strong frame and his bold, fluid walk. He is not a huge horse but has plenty of presence and attitude. He ran for the first time in England in October at Ludlow, over 2 miles in a 0-115 handicap hurdle, with Tom O’Brien onboard which he won.
His second outing at Taunton was frustrating, with all but 2 of the hurdles removed due to low sun. It changed the race hugely and ‘Dave’ who loves his jumping was not interested or engaged in the flat race that it became in his first 0-125 race. He took a while to turn around after this run, with intermittent lameness. He’s a really tough horse so it wasn’t obvious at the issue was for a while but eventually he was diagnosed with a bruised foot. He had a quiet time whilst this healed up but kept swimming to keep a base level of fitness. He is now back in good form and had a first run back at Fakenham on March 19th, which will have freshened him back up ready for the spring ground.
Dave And Bernie is a really fun young horse, that should give the racing club members plenty of interest this season. He’s got bags of attitude and despite being endlessly naughty is very likable! We believe he is a classy horse and will school him up over fences to give him the option of chasing.
“A good fun, genuine horse who made all in his run here and Ireland – he has the potential to step up in trip & over fences”
Benefits of Membership
- Owners & Trainers Badges when a horse runs & options where possible for additional guests, once Covid restrictions are lifted.
- Access to the pre-parade ring to watch the horse being saddled and parade ring to meet the jockey and discuss pre-race tactics with the trainer – and hopefully winners enclosure!
- Owners Racecourse benefits usually to include complimentary tea and coffee, and often lunch (again covid restrictions allowing).
- Racing Club Mornings – private mornings to come and see the horses working on the gallops or schooling, and enjoy breakfast on the yard.
- Updates on the horses – we will keep you up to date with the progress of the horses and the yard, with regular emails and communication.
- Owners Day, an invitation to the annual owners day at The Croft Stables & Festive Open Morning.
- Racing Club discounts on yard branded clothing.